Only a few years ago, the concepts of Agile Development and Continuous Builds seemed foreign to many. Today their benefits are widely known and the practices have become mainstream. Expanding on this, DevOps on Cloud promotes delivering solutions incrementally with rapid feedback cycles.
The on-demand nature of the cloud enables us to automatically deploy (and re-deploy) entire application environments with the push of a button. This goes well beyond auto-installing software. Modern DevOps solutions enable the recreation of environments for:
- Infrastructure: virtual servers, load balancers, switches, firewalls
- Platforms: message queues, pub/sub, database, custom middleware
- Security: identity & access control, networks policies
- Availability & Scalability: failover policies, alarms, error notifications, scaling policies
- Custom Applications: integrate build systems and version control into the DevOps process
Use StackStudio for DevOps Acceleration!
The Continuous Build paradigm was enabled by build-automation systems like Cruise Control and Hudson. These solutions significantly reduced the amount of time it took to create a build by creating scripts that automated the process. A similar event has played out in DevOps. The use of ‘orchestrated provisioning scripts’ enables software teams to describe an application and it’s dependencies in such detail that the entire system can be easily stood up (one-button launch).
Transcend embraces the use of CloudFormation templates as a mechanism to provision application topologies. Visit StackPlace for an open library of pre-built architectures. Use our visual workshop, StackStudio to edit, launch and adjust template architectures on AWS or ACE environments.